Director of Business Development
A Hundred Years is a strategy and design studio working with leading corporations, philanthropic organizations, social enterprises, government agencies, and entrepreneurs that are tackling the most important challenges of our time. Whether we’re defining a company’s true purpose, shaping brand strategy, designing a new business model, reimagining the employee experience, or developing digital product, our mission remains the same – to solve for the long-term in ways that achieve greater positive impact today.
As we look to expand our mission and accelerate results, we’re seeking a Director of Business Development to drive growth through increasing awareness of the studio, prospecting for new opportunities, defining and implementing successful business-winning strategies, and cultivating long-term relationships with clients.
This is a pivotal role that reports to the CEO and involves working in close collaboration with the senior executives who are leading and contributing to the various initiatives and projects. Equally, it is an opportunity for you, a dynamic marketing, business development and engagement professional, to have a hand in shaping the future of A Hundred Years.
- Proven track record in prospecting, acquisition and development of new business, and building long-term relationships with clients and strategic partners
- B2B + B2C experience spanning strategy, purpose + culture transformation, brand-building, and digital engagements across multiple sectors
- Business-savvy, strategic, creative-thinker with an inquisitive mind, real passion for understanding the our capabilities, and stellar ability to present studio to prospective clients
- Highly proactive and optimistic approach for identifying, shaping and expanding opportunities
- Leader and team player able to coordinate the efforts of Business Development team, internal/external partners, and engagement leads
- Experience in engaging with C-suit and senior-level executives
- Existing network of potential clients and strategic partners
- Prospecting + Lead Generation – Strategic, rigorous and cost-effective efforts to identify and cultivate potential opportunities
- Key Account Acquisition + Negotiations:
- Impactful and effective presentation of studio’s capabilities to prospective clients across levels, departments, functions, etc.
- Strategic and cost-conscious acquisition of new business
- Skillful navigation of preliminary, high-level cost discussions through finalizing project pricing in context of scope, costs and profitability
- Business Development Management:
- Principal author of proposals, crafted through close and consistent collaboration with studio’s senior executives, cross-functional leads and internal/external partners in context of client’s goals
- Define and shape engagements, from strategy through approach (i.e. emphasis of work, phases with core activities, team composition, external resources needed, etc.), and within target pricing in compelling and smart way
- Management of process from initial contact with client through finalizing contract negotiations to project start, and high-level issue mitigation if/as necessary
- Continuously improve business development process to increase success while reducing overall cost of acquisition as related to profitability
- Client/Vendor Retention + Relationship Management – Proactive outreach, cultivation and nurturing of long-term client and vendor relationships
- Sales & Marketing – Lead and oversee marketing efforts across content, event and digital/social channels to enhance studio’s profile and serve business development strategy and goals
- 5+ years experience in Business Development or related field; MBA is a plus
- Proven experience in design and/or advertising agency(s), strategy firms(s) or relevant business(es), and knowledge of market changes/forces that influence company
- Proven proficiency in digital and consulting engagements
- Proven track record in strategic planning and achievement of business acquisition goals
- Demonstrated experience in drafting and negotiating multi-faceted initiatives/projects
- Strong analytical skills, ability to manage to financial plans and measure performance
- Strong problem solving skills, sound judgment and responsible decision-making ability
- Understanding of core functions: Strategy, Design/Creative, Technology, Production, Culture/HR
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent leadership, organizational and interpersonal skills
- High level of integrity and dependability with demonstrated ability to operate with minimal supervision and responsibly in fast-paced, constantly changing environment
In your response, please share a recent project story, or relevant piece of work and explain your thinking, process, and execution.